The Third Covenant with Abraham (PBUH)

A covenant is an agreement between God and Man. It is our story and it all began with the covenant of Adam (PBUH). There have been six previous covenants throughout the ages. Each has pointed to the best of all covenants, The Seventh Covenant.

Moderator: Shana

Shana

THE COVENANT WITH NOAH AND HIS DESCENDANTS LASTED UNTIL THEY BROKE IT IN THE TIME OF ABRAHAM.

When we think of Prophet Abraham this is usually the scene that comes to mind.

Abraham sacrifice.jpeg
Abraham sacrifice.jpeg (41.3 KiB) Viewed 2506 times

“Then, when he was old enough to accompany him, he said, “O My son, I see in a dream that I am sacrificing you; see what you think.” He said, “O my Father, do as you are commanded; you will find me, God willing, one of the steadfast.”Then, when they had submitted, he put his forehead down.
We called out to him, “O Abraham! You have fulfilled the vision.” Thus We reward the doers of good. This was certainly an evident test.
And We redeemed him with a great sacrifice”
(As-Saffat 37: 102-107)

Abraham had such submission in his heart -- he was willing to sacrifice his son. The event is interpreted as a celebration of faith on Abraham's part and mercy on the part of God towards him.

In the time of Abraham, there was a king called Nimrod. In the 1st Chronicles he is described as a “Mighty hunter before the Lord” Nimrod essentially ruled over all the people of the world In Hebrew and Christian tradition, Nimrod is considered the leader of those who built the Tower of Babel in the land of Shinar, though the Bible never actually states this. Islamic tradition confirms this.-

nimrod.jpeg
nimrod.jpeg (18.53 KiB) Viewed 2506 times

“They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.” - Genesis 11:3-4:

Tower.jpeg
Tower.jpeg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 2506 times

THE PUNISHMENT: Because of Nimrod's direct attack on God, and the wickedness of the people during Nimrod's time, the punishment came to the people of Abraham for breaking what was before them. God confused their language, scattered the people, destroyed the tower of Babel, and destroyed Nimrod with a simple gnat.

fight.jpeg
fight.jpeg (145.41 KiB) Viewed 2506 times

So the Lord scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. That is why it was called Babel because there the Lord confused the language of the whole world. From there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth. GENESIS 11:8-9

Abraham according to the biblical narrative is 20th generation of humanity “When Abram was 99 years old, the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, “I am El Shaddai. Walk with me and be trustworthy. I will make a covenant between us and I will give you many, many descendants.” Genesis 17:1-2

Abraham.jpeg
Abraham.jpeg (36.57 KiB) Viewed 2506 times

***IMPORTANT CHANGE IN THE NEW COVENANT***

A CHOSEN PEOPLE - In the past, the covenant was with all people on earth. The Abrahamic covenant was the first time God chose a specific people to be under his covenant
“But me, my covenant is with you; you will be the ancestor of many nations. And because I have made you the ancestor of many nations, your name will no longer be Abram but Abraham. I will make you very fertile. I will produce nations from you, and kings will come from you. I will set up my covenant with you and your descendants after you in every generation as an enduring covenant. I will be your God and your descendants’ God after you.” Genesis 17:4-7

“As for your wife Sarai, you will no longer call her Sarai. Her name will now be Sarah. I will bless her and even give you a son from her. I will bless her so that she will become nations, and kings of peoples will come from her...Sarah will give birth to a son for you, and you will name him Isaac. I will set up my covenant with him and with his descendants after him as an enduring covenant.” Genesis 17:15-16,19

Abraham and Sarah.jpeg
Abraham and Sarah.jpeg (19.24 KiB) Viewed 2506 times

NEW COVENANT LAWS

Circumcision - “God said to Abraham, “As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants in every generation. This is my covenant that you and your descendants must keep: Circumcise every male. You must circumcise the flesh of your foreskins, and it will be a symbol of the covenant between us. On the eighth day after birth, every male in every generation must be circumcised, including those who are
not your own children: those born in your household and those purchased with silver from foreigners. Be sure you circumcise those born in your household and those purchased with your silver. Your flesh will embody
my covenant as an enduring covenant. Any uncircumcised male whose flesh of his foreskin remains uncircumcised will be cut off from his people. He has broken my covenant.”
Genesis 17:9-14.

Promised land - from the Nile to Euphrates -- what they call Zion After Abraham arrived in the land God wanted him to see, God announced that He would give this land to his descendants. As Abraham obeyed and grew in faith, God continued to reveal to him the blessings he and his descendants would receive

God made a covenant with Abraham, saying, “Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates. Genesis 15:18,

nile.jpeg
nile.jpeg (208.87 KiB) Viewed 2504 times

God affirmed his covenant with Abraham in this verse, saying to Isaac - “Stay in this land as a foreigner, and I will be with you and bless you. For I will give all these lands to you and your offspring, and I will confirm the oath that I swore to your father Abraham...because Abraham listened to My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes, and My laws.” Genesis 26:4-5

And [mention, O Muhammad], when Abraham was tried by his Lord with commands and he fulfilled them. [ Allah ] said, "Indeed, I will make you a leader for the people." [Abraham] said, "And of my descendants?" [ Allah ] said, "My covenant does not include the wrongdoers." Quran 2:124

Because of the willingness of Abraham and his Son to make the ultimate sacrifice, both were able to transcend the notions of self and false attachment to the material world, thus removing a veil between themselves and Their LORD.

And Abraham has returned in this time and age and is one of the Mahdis mentioned in the will of the Holy Prophet (PBUH)

Every day is Ashura, and every land is Karbala

Return to “The Seventh Covenant”