The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

This forum is for discussing and sharing books of all kinds

Moderator: Shana

Sami3u_Allah

The Prophet

Eight years before his death, a prophet leaves the town where he has lived and before leaving the people ask him to talk about certain topics, each of which forms a chapter of the book. These themes are: love, marriage, children, giving, eating and drinking, work, joy and pain, houses, clothing, buying and selling, crime and punishment, laws, freedom, reason and passion, pain, knowledge, teaching, friendship, speech, time, good and bad, prayer, pleasure, beauty, religion, and death .

For example, regarding joy and pain, he says: "When you are sad, (...) you will see that you are crying, in truth, for what was your delight".

Despite the fact that the work is written as a simple dialogue between the prophet and the townspeople, the directives that Gibrán puts in his mouth invite to reconsider the values, concepts, habits and customs of society, leading the reader towards a less individualistic idea and with a great sense of empathy with living beings, as well as the greater relevance of a spiritual layer underlying all human actions.

His dialogue also invites to evoke deeper themes such as at his death the soul will leave his body and become part of that universal and divine sea.

Its inspiration is probably the wisdom of the great masters, such as Jesus or Buddha, the Eastern religions, and above all currents of spirituality marked by a great sense of the mystical, such as Sufism, without losing resemblance in turn to the animistic beliefs of many tribal and close to nature societies.

This book, The Prophet is a book that has been written by Gibran Kahlil Gibran and published in 1923
Myrah

Simple yet poetically written. The book grips you more and more as you read it. For sure not a one time read book. I must say, I'm spiritually moved after reading it.
Attika

A wonderful, deep and simple book which moved me spiritually I learnt a lot from this book as each page was getting better and better, this book was a great reminder for me and great to ponder over.
“Whoever is with God is not afraid of anyone. And we are the only ones on the face of the Earth that have God with us. We are the only ones on the face of the Earth that whenever we ask God for something, He answers us.”

Return to “The Great Library of Alexandria”